- Both Trupanion and Lemonade offer one standard policy.
- While Trupanion offers two optional add-ons, Lemonade offers five.
- Generally speaking, Trupanion plans tend to have higher premiums.
- While Trupanion allows you the option to pay the vet directly, Lemonade does not.
- In most cases, Lemonade will be more cost-effective, although Trupanion may offer slightly more coverage.
Both Trupanion and Lemonade offer one standard policy with optional add-ons for additional coverage, giving you a level of flexibility some competitors don’t offer. That said, Lemonade tends to be a bit more cost-effective and customizable.
Trupanion vs. Lemonade
Before selecting a policy, compare Trupanion and Lemonade’s offerings side-by-side:
|Deductible Options||Between $0 and $1,000||$100, $250, or $500|
|Reimbursement Options||90%||60%, 70%, 80% or 90%|
|Wellness Add Ons?||No||Yes|
|Waiting Periods||5 days for accidents, 30 days for illnesses||2 days for accidents, 14 days for illnesses, 6 months for cruciate ligament events|
|Average Customer Review||1.2 to 4.3 out of 5||2.4 to 4.4 out of 5|
|Average Reimbursement Timeframe||24 hours to 2 days||Almost instantly, longer if the claim is complex|
|Accepted By Every Vet?||Yes||No; Only accepted by licensed vets in 37 U.S. states|
|Pays the Vet Directly?||Yes||No|
Trupanion offers one standard pet insurance policy, intended to cover accidents and illnesses such as:
- Hereditary conditions (eg. hip dysplasia, diabetes, and thyroid disease)
- Congenital conditions (eg. liver disease, heart disease, and cataracts)
- Medical expenses related to an unexpected accident or illness (eg. surgery, hospitalization, herbal therapy, and prosthetic devices)
- Issues without a diagnosis (eg. vomiting, cough, change in weight)
- Prescription supplements, when prescribed by a vet for the treatment of an illness of injury
- Prescription food, for up to two months of normal feeding
Lemonade also offers one standard policy to cover accidents and illnesses. It covers expenses such as:
- Diagnostic testing
- Inpatient and outpatient surgery
- Emergency procedures
It’s important to note that Lemonade can only be used in 37 U.S. states, while Trupanion can be used in all 50.
|Trupanion (Standard Plan Only)||Lemonade (Standard Plan Only)|
|Prescription Pet Food||✓||X|
Trupanion offers two optional add-ons that cover traditional wellness expenses, although they don’t refer to them as wellness coverage:
- Recovery and Complementary Care Rider: Covers non-clinical procedures and care like acupuncture, behavioral therapy, chiropractic care, and physical therapy
- Pet Owner Assistance Package: Covers care outside the vet, including rewards and advertising for lost pets, boarding fees if you become hospitalized, cremation and burial, and liability coverage for third-party property damage
Lemonade, on the other hand, provides five optional wellness add-ons, each covering one of the following:
- Vet visit fees
- Physical therapy, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy
- Dental illnesses, cleanings, extractions, and other treatment
- Behavioral conditions such as anxiety and aggression
- End of life and remembrance (eg. vet-recommended euthanasia and cremation)
With both insurance companies, you can choose which add-ons you’d like to tack onto a standard plan, giving you a great level of customization.
In some cases, pet insurance companies will exclude pets below or above a certain age from coverage. Lemonade will not insure pets under 2 months old. Trupanion, on the other hand, has no lower age limit, but they do have an upper age limit of 14. While they won’t kick an already insured pet off their plan on their 14th birthday, they don’t accept new pets if they are over 14.
Both Trupanion and Lemonade offer one standard policy and a variety of optional add-ons. This gives you flexibility, as you can choose which coverage you desire and only pay for that.
That said, Lemonade allows you to select your reimbursement level, while Trupanion does not. This means that Lemonade policies will allow you a bit more customization than Trupanion.
Trupanion and Lemonade plans come with a deductible, reimbursement level, and annual maximum that impacts the premium you’d pay.
|Deductible Options||Reimbursement Levels||Annual Maximums|
|Trupanion||Between $0 and $1,000||90%||No limits|
|Lemonade||$100, $250, or $500||60%, 70%, 80%, or 90%||Between $5,000 and $100,000|
Here’s how rates for a male pet in Dallas, Texas would stack up against each other.
|Trupanion Standard Plan, with no annual limit, 90% reimbursement rate, and $200 deductible||Lemonade Accident + Illness Plan, with $20,000 annual limit, 80% reimbursement rate, and $250 deductible|
|8-week-old Labrador Retriever||$102.60||$85.27|
|8-week-old German Shepherd||$102.27||$83.79|
|5-year-old French Bulldog||$266.90||$136.55|
|Senior Golden Retriever||$228.88||$148.50|
|Senior Exotic Shorthair Cat||$183.89||N/A|
Trupanion’s plan offers a bit more coverage, in terms of the lower deductible, higher reimbursement rate, and unlimited annual payout. So, it makes sense that their rates are a bit higher. That said, Lemonade does offer a 5% multi-pet discount, which makes the pricing even more competitive.
Enrollment, Waiting Periods, and Submitting Claims
Purchasing a policy with either insurance company is simple — just get a free quote on their website and follow the onboarding process from there.
Once enrolled, you’ll be subject to specific waiting periods, which are as follows:
|Injuries||5 days||2 days|
|Illnesses||30 days||14 days|
|Cruciate Ligament Events||N/A||6 months|
Both Trupanion and Lemonade have similar claims processes, which are:
- Trupanion: Log into Trupanion’s online claims tool to submit an itemized receipt from your visit.
- Lemonade: Open the Lemonade mobile app and tap the “File a Claim” button. Then, follow the prompts to submit your claim.
With Trupanion, you’ll have the option to pay the vet directly at the time of service. This means that you won’t be subject to the traditional reimbursement timeline that follows a claim. With Lemonade, however, you’ll need to submit a claim and wait a bit for reimbursement — although they state that their process is almost instant.
Before purchasing a pet insurance policy, read customer reviews. Here’s how Trupanion and Lemonade rank against each other based on popular review websites:
It’s important to remember that customers tend to leave reviews after incredibly positive or negative experiences — average experiences are less likely to be reported. So, these ratings may be exaggerated in one way or the other.
Bottom Line: Which is Better?
Both policies ultimately offer a great level of flexibility and customization, which allows you to purchase only the coverage you desire. In most cases, Lemonade will be a more cost-effective option, but keep in mind the state restrictions. If you live in a state that doesn’t have coverage, or if you plan to move to one, it might be better to opt for another plan like Trupanion.